It’s the end of October and we’re starting to feel the chill of cold, dark nights. In lieu of sunshine – because this is Britain and there’s less where that came from – we’ve put together a list of six alternative ways to get your endorphin rush, relax your mind and chase away the winter blues this month.
1. Sunrise Yoga at Sky Garden – If you’re not a morning person, you might want to stop reading now, but if there was ever a reason to get out of bed before the sun, this would be it. A refreshing one-hour vinyasa yoga session with amazing views at 6.30am, followed by a tasty buffet breakfast and coffee. Lots of coffee. Tickets start from £10 with multiple dates available in the coming weeks.
2. Lunchtime Meditation at Inhere – Whether you’re struggling with seasonal depression or having a particularly busy day at the office, Inhere will be your oasis. Thanks to the flexible schedule of bite-sized sessions, you’ll have time for a snack, coffee and a few minutes of blissful silence in the space of your lunch hour. The studio has taken a modern approach to meditation; there’s no instructor, just an audio track to guide you, and you don’t even need to change your clothes. Just pop your shoes off, grab a mat and shut off your brain.
3. Kayak across London at night – Romantic, relaxing, rowing. Grab a paddle or just let your kayak float along the Thames, as you watch the city lights. The journey will start at St Mary’s Church in Battersea and finish in Greenwich with two dates available to choose from; 27 October or 24 November. Organisers, Secret Adventures, are known for their unique events and tickets sell out fast, so be quick!
4. Glow & Flow at Blue Cow Yoga – Namaste. For those of you who want a little punch with your zen, there’s Glow & Flow: a limited-time-only two-week pass of barre and yoga classes for £50. It’s a bargain, especially considering one class costs £16. Recognising the needs of city workers, Blue Cow Yoga are also offering Flow & Restore, a special, curative “anti-desk” yoga for workers with tight shoulders, necks and backs.
5. Rave at Gymbox in Bank – From surfboard yoga and circus moves to aerial pilates: when it comes to innovative workout trends, this is the place. To release negative energy, try Rave, a colourful session of uplifting music with a laser light show and glow sticks. Every Monday, 6.15pm. Like Swift said, shake it off, shake it off!
6. Disco Yoga and brunch at the Hoxton Hotel – Disco Yoga just got even better; organisers are hosting a special themed Saturday Fright Fever session at the Hoxton Hotel, just in time for Halloween. Boogie the blues away and relight your fire with this alternative style of yoga including disco music and a DYI UV paint and glitter-station. After-class spooky surprises and a three-course brunch are included. Saturday 28 October, tickets range from £18 – £35.